London tube strikes suspended after last-minute talks between TfL and RMT


London tube strikes suspended after last-minute talks between TfL and RMT

A series of planned London Underground strikes due to begin on Tuesday have been suspended by the Rail, Maritime and Transport Union, according to The GuardianThe industrial action included two separate 24-hour walkouts scheduled from Tuesday to Wednesday and Thursday to Friday, with major disruption previously expected across the Tube network.An RMT spokesperson said the suspension followed progress in discussions over new working arrangements and safety concerns.“At the 11th hour the employer has shifted its position, allowing us to further explore our members’ concerns around the imposition of new rosters, fatigue and safety issues,” the spokesperson said.“The dispute is not over, and more strike action will follow if we fail to make sufficient progress.”

Why were Tube drivers planning to strike?

The dispute centred on TfL’s proposal to introduce a voluntary four-day working week for Tube drivers.Under the proposal, drivers would work longer shifts across fewer days. TfL said the changes were optional and designed to improve work-life balance for staff.However, the RMT argued the longer shifts could increase fatigue, create safety risks and negatively affect working conditions.Union officials also claimed TfL continued pushing the proposal despite opposition from many drivers during consultations.The disagreement further exposed divisions between rail unions, with members of ASLEF reportedly accepting parts of the proposal while RMT members continued opposing the plan.Additional Tube strikes remain scheduled for June if negotiations between TfL and the RMT fail to reach a wider agreement.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *